As we get closer and closer to Christmas this week, we at MCE feel the excitement and joy of holiday spirit! While the winter months bring snow and hot cocoa, things that might make us feel far away from the summer months, we can’t help but be reminded of the joy of a summer at Maine Camp. So, we’ve come up with the top 5 reasons why Christmas reminds us of camp in Maine!
- As we decorate for the holiday season, whether it’s stringing lights, decorating our trees, or snipping away at white snowflake decorations for the windows, we are reminded of one of our favorite activities at camp: Arts and Crafts! Just like the holiday season, camp can give us an opportunity to bring out our creative side, and a chance to work together to make decorations, special crafts, or even just a poster to cheer on our Color War team.
- Coziness! As we gather with our families in Christmas PJ’s and sit around the fire, we think of the coziness that we feel each summer at camp. Whether it’s getting in sweats and sitting around a campfire on a beautiful Maine night, or hanging around in PJ’s in our cabin, some of our favorite camp memories are also our coziest ones!
- Baking! We always talk about the yummy food at our Maine camps, and as we bake holiday cookies, gingerbread, and other treats, we are thinking of some of our favorite camp treats, too! For MCE blogger Emma, though she has so many camp cooking favorites, one thing that always comes to mind are the yummy home-baked Whoopie Pies made on special nights each summer. Christmas season has us dreaming of our favorite camp baked goods!
- Traditions. Just like each camp’s special traditions every summer, during the holiday season, many families have their own traditions that they come back to each year. Whether it’s playing a special board game on Christmas Eve, doing a family Secret Santa, or like Maine Campcierge™ Laurie’s family did while she was growing up – a family scavenger hunt for one of the gifts, holiday traditions always remind us of our favorite Maine Camp traditions.
- Finally, and perhaps most importantly, each summer at camp we truly value the opportunity to come together and enjoy each other’s company without distractions. Just like camp, the holidays give us time to spend together and a chance to appreciate family (and friends!), and the love and joy they bring. No matter where you are celebrating this season, and whom you are with, we hope your family is enjoying the special opportunity for togetherness.
Happy holidays to all of our MCE family!
Maine Camp Experience Resources & Tools
Looking for the perfect Maine camp for your child? Try out our helpful tool where you can select a camp by choosing: type of camp (girls, boys or coed) and session length (1-8 weeks). It helps to narrow down a few camps to a manageable list that includes rates. Then you can research these camps in more depth.
Next, be sure to contact our Maine Camp Guide, Laurie to discuss these camps as well as for free, year-round advice and assistance on choosing a great Maine summer camp for your child.
Talk to Laurie, our Maine Campcierge™, about choosing the right camp for your child and what to do in Maine.